IBM Event Streams is an event-streaming platform based on the open-source Apache Kafka® project. Event Streams release 2018.3.0 uses the Kafka 2.0 release and supports the use of all Kafka interfaces. Event Streams release 2018.3.1 uses the Kafka 2.0.1 release.
IBM Event Streams builds upon the IBM Cloud Private platform to deploy Apache Kafka in a resilient and manageable way. It includes a UI design aimed at application developers getting started with Apache Kafka, as well as users operating a production cluster.
IBM Event Streams is available in two editions:
- IBM Event Streams Community Edition is a free version intended for trials and demonstration purposes. It can be installed and used without charge.
- IBM Event Streams is a paid-for version intended for enterprise use, and includes additional features such as geo-replication.
IBM Event Streams features include:
- Apache Kafka deployment that maximizes the spread of Kafka brokers across the nodes of the IBM Cloud Private cluster. This creates a highly-available configuration making the deployment resilient to many classes of failure with automatic restart of brokers included.
- Health check information and options to resolve issues with your clusters and brokers.
- Geo-replication of your topics between clusters to enable disaster recovery and scalability.
Note: Geo-replication is only available in the paid-for version of IBM Event Streams (not available in the Community Edition).
- UI for browsing messages to help view and filter hundreds of thousands of messages, including options to drill in and see message details from a set time.
- Encrypted communication between internal components and encrypted storage by using features available in IBM Cloud Private.
- Security with authentication and authorization using IBM Cloud Private.