To try out Event Streams, you can install a basic deployment of the Community Edition.
IBM Event Streams Community Edition is a free version intended for trial and demonstration purposes. It can be installed and used without charge.
Note: These instructions do not include setting up persistent storage, so your data and configuration settings are not retained in the event of a restart.
For more features and full IBM support, install IBM Event Streams.
- If you do not have IBM Cloud Private installed already, you can download and install IBM Cloud Private-CE.
Note: IBM Event Streams Community Edition is not supported on Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform.
- Log in to your IBM Cloud Private cluster management console from a supported web browser by using the URL
https://<Cluster Master Host>:<Cluster Master API Port>. The master host and port for your cluster are set during the installation of IBM Cloud Private. For more information, see the IBM Cloud Private documentation.
The default user name is
admin, and the default password is
- Create a namespace where you will install your Event Streams instance:
- From the navigation menu, click Manage > Namespaces.
- Click Create Namespace.
- Enter a name for your namespace.
- Ensure you have the
ibm-restricted-pspPodSecurityPolicy selected for the target namespace.
- Click Create.
- Click Catalog in the top navigation menu.
- Search for
ibm-eventstreams-devand select it from the result. This is the Helm chart for the IBM Event Streams Community Edition. The README is displayed.
- Click Configure.
- Enter a release name, select the target namespace you created previously, and accept the terms of the license agreement.
You can leave all other settings at their default values.
- Click Install.
- Verify your installation and log in to start using Event Streams.
These steps install a basic instance of IBM Event Streams Community Edition that you can try out. You can also configure your installation to change the default settings as required, for example, to set up persistent storage.
Note: Geo-replication is only available in the paid-for version of IBM Event Streams (not available in the Community Edition).