This year we are presenting several iterations of the
complete (no-charge) IDz Entry Level Training courses, along
with Experienced User topics such as
Code Review, Code Coverage, Integration with Open Source
DevOps tooling, etc.
The Entry Level Training consists of multiple hour-long hands-on-workshop modules that are delivered through interactive, instructor-led web-conferences ... an extremely effective training venue utilizing open Q&A, flexible class delivery, remote-mentoring, greater absorption of the material, etc.
These sessions cover all of the skills & knowledge needed to master IDz, enabling you for high-productivity z/OS COBOL application work with the tools. Please note that there is no need to register for any of the classes. Simply follow the "Getting Started Notes" instructions below.
Also note that you may attend any session you'd like - from any iteration at any time. However the Entry Level classes are designed as sequenced educational content, with materials that build upon previous topics. It is recommended that you proceed through the courses from Module-1 thru Module-9 (see details below on the individual module topics).
Getting Started Notes
Each of the Entry Level classes is (roughly) one hour in
length - and there is
- You will need to provide the instructor with your email address during the first module - in order to communicate questions, assignments, tips/techniques, errata, etc.
- There is a short workshop setup process needed for the hands-on labs. See the table below in the Setup section for details- and please try to finish this before attending Module 1.
- The WebEx (web conference link) for all classes is: https://ibm.webex.com/meet/jsayles, audio is provided through phone or VOIP
- Additional details on each Module are listed at the bottom
- Typically the instructor will be available 15 minutes before each session - to assist with individual questions & answers
It is imperative that when you participate in the Web Conference you put your phone on mute and leave it on mute throughout the training
- There will be dozens of developers participating in each class
- Background noise/talking/etc interferes with the learning and is distracting
- You are encouraged to use the WebEx chat feature to ask any/all questions throughout the training session
- Note also that you must turn your PC/Laptop camera off during class - for the same reasons
For entry level hand's-on learning - download these files and follow the setup instructions in the table:
|Download URL||Files & Setup Instructions|
|https://community.ibm.com/community/user/ibmz-and-linuxone/viewdocument/education-workspace?CommunityKey=b0dae4a8-74eb-44ac-86c7-90f3cd32909a&tab=librarydocuments||1. Education Workspace - for class. Download and unzip this file onto your PC. It contains all of the programs/copybooks/JCL/etc. that are referenced in the hands-on exercises.|
|https://community.ibm.com/community/user/ibmz-and-linuxone/viewdocument/labspdf?CommunityKey=b0dae4a8-74eb-44ac-86c7-90f3cd32909a&tab=librarydocuments||2. Class Exercises for each Module. Download this file into the same directory as the class education PDFs.|
|https://community.ibm.com/community/user/ibmz-and-linuxone/viewdocument/pdfs-for-the-entry-level-training-m?CommunityKey=b0dae4a8-74eb-44ac-86c7-90f3cd32909a&tab=librarydocuments||3. Class learning documents (PDFs) Download and unzip these files into a directory. You will use this as IDz reference material throughout the class.|