The Kubernetes Networking series consists of the following topics:
- Kubernetes Networking 101 (60 mins), you will use different ways to control traffic on a Kubernetes cluster with Service types, Ingress, Network Policy and Calico. Start here.
- Add Security to Routes on OpenShift (coming soon), you will use different types of TLS termination to secure Routes on OpenShift: edge, passthrough and reencrypt.
- Kubernetes Network Security using a Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) (90 mins), you will deploy a guestbook application to a Kubernetes cluster in a Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) Gen2, you will create the VPC, add a subnet, attach a public gateway, and update a security group with rules to allow inbound traffic to the guestbook application. Start here.
- Istio, use Istio to manage network traffic, load balance across microservices, enforce access policies, verify service identity, and more.
This series of workshops on Kubernetes Networking is accompanied by a lecture on Kubernetes Networking.
Kubernetes Networking is part of the series
Kubernetes Security, which includes:
- Kubernetes Security,
- Kubernetes Networking,
- Kubernetes Storage,
- Kubernetes Automation (DevOps, IaC, CI/CD).
Continue your learning by visiting the Istio workshop. With Istio, you can manage network traffic, load balance across microservices, enforce access policies, verify service identity, and more.
- Free IBM Cloud account, to create a new IBM Cloud account go here.
Pay-As-You-Goaccount. To upgrade a free IBM Cloud account, go here.
- CognitiveLabs.ai account, to access a client terminal at CognitiveLabs.ai, go here.
- Kubernetes standard cluster v1.18 with at least 2 worker nodes on a VLAN, a subnet with public IPs, external LoadBalancer (for details about VLAN, subnets and IPs, see here ).
Go to Setup for more details.
- Lab1 Kubernetes Networking 101
- Lab2 Using a VPC
This workshop was tested using the following technologies:
- IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service (IKS) version 1.19, 2 worker nodes, flavor u3c.2x4
- Calico client version v3.17.1
- Calico cluster version v3.16.5
- ibmcloud version 1.3.0
- ibmcloud container-service/kubernetes-service 1.0.28
- vpc-infrastructure/infrastructure-service 0.7.5
- kubectl version 1.19
- Remko de Knikker, remkohdev